As I was looking through NASA’s recent small business selection announcement for propulsion-related projects, I have found that the space agency has selected 29 Small Business Innovation Research and 8 Small Business Technology Transfer proposals for funding.
The proposals cover a wide range of areas, including in-space propulsion for CubeSats to technologies for new launch vehicles. Several proposals are also focused on in-space propellant depots.
A list of the selected projects with links to the proposals follows.
NASA has selected eight research projects focused on in-situ resource utilization for funding under its Small Business Innovation Research Phase I program.
The selected projects include:
- Extraterrestrial Metals Processing — Pioneer Astronautics
- Robotic ISRU Construction of Planetary Landing and Launch Pad — Honeybee Robotics
- Extruded Clay-Based Regoliths for Construction on Mars, Phobos and NEAs — Deep Space Industries
- In-Situ Generation of Polymer Concrete Construction Materials — Luna Innovations
- ISP3: In-Situ Printing Plastic Production System for Space Additive Manufacturing — Altius Space Machines
- Compact In-Situ Polyethylene Production from Carbon Dioxide — Opus 12
- Micro-Channel Reactor for Processing Carbon Dioxide to Ethylene — Reactive Innovations
- OpenSWIFT-SDR for STRS Polyethylene Production from In-Situ Resources in Microchannel Reactors — TDA Research
Full descriptions of the projects are below.