The CBCreports that the Nova Scotia Environmental Department has given an approval with conditions for the construction of a spaceport where Ukrainian Cylcone 4M launch vehicles would operate.
Environment Minister Gordon Wilson said he was satisfied any significant environmental effects of the Maritime Launch Services (MLS) project could be mitigated with compliance to the department’s conditions.
“I think we’ve made the right decision on ensuring that all the environmental impacts and the safety of the people in the area have been looked at and addressed in the terms of conditions of this approval,” said Wilson.
“Our staff did a very good job in engaging consultants who were understanding of this type of activity.”
Among the conditions, MLS will be required to submit information on expected air emissions of pollutants during regular operations and worst-case scenarios, including the maximum distance downwind that would need to be evacuated.
Nova Scotia has said that Maritime Launch Services must address a range of environmental concerns about the proposed Canso Spaceport Facility before provincial authorities will approve the project, Canadian media report.
In the documents provided Wednesday, Neil Morehouse, a manager in the province’s Environment Department, says there is little in the proposal addressing how an explosion, crash or fuel leak would affect the nearby Canso Coastal Barrens Wilderness Area.
Morehouse says a spill would “destroy the impacted ecosystems with no chance of recovery within the next several hundred years.” (more…)
Construction of a spaceport in Nova Scotia where Ukrainian Cyclone 4M boosters would be launched has been delayed.
Stephen Matier, president of Maritime Launch Services, had hoped to break ground this month on the $200-million project on Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore.
But Matier now says the rocket launch site in Canso likely won’t start being developed until later this year — although he was hesitant to impose any new timeline….
Matier said his company will submit an environment assessment to the province within the next month. That assessment will also go to Nova Scotia’s Natural Resources Department as part of the land lease application….
Matier said the company is still aiming for the first round of satellite launches to begin in 2021.
HALIFAX, NS – DNIPRO, Ukraine (MLS PR) — Maritime Launch Services (MLS) Ltd., established in Halifax, is pleased to announce it has committed to a launch site location following a study of prospective sites across North America. An exhaustive review was conducted which assessed 14 potential locations over the last year.The preferred site is located in the Guysborough Municipality near Canso and Hazel Hill in Nova Scotia, Canada and would host a commercial launch complex for the Cyclone 4M orbital launch vehicle from Ukraine. The criteria evaluated through the study included access to polar/sun synchronous orbit, very low population density, proximity to multimodal transportation, and interest from the community, province and government.
Old rockets never die. They just migrate to a different part of the globe.
Ukraine’s Cyclone 4 satellite booster — left without a launch site in 2015 following the end of a decade-long partnership to launch it from Brazil’s Alcantara spaceport — has resurfaced. And Nova Scotia, Canada is on the list of possible launch locations.
The Canso-Hazel Hill area in Guysborough County has been shortlisted as a future launch base to send satellite-carrying rockets into space, one of a handful of spots across North American being eyed by a Nova Scotia company….
“The Canso site prospect is the most mature one in Canada at this point, but not the only candidate,” company president Steve Matier said in an email.
Matier spent most of 2016 evaluating about 15 potential launch locations in North America for the Ukrainian Cyclone 4M medium-class rocket….
Maritime Launch Services was jointly formed in Nova Scotia by three U.S. companies.
Alcantara Cyclone Space, a partnership of the Brazilian and Ukrainian governments, had previously attempted to launch the booster from the South American nation. However, the program suffered delays and cost overruns amid questions about the rocket’s commercial viability. The Brazilian government pulled the plug on the program in 2015 after a decade of effort.