August 18, 2017 (Ottawa, ON) – Today the Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) released a report produced by the government’s Space Advisory Board (SAB) on Canada’s space sector. The report identifies six issues for the government to consider as it develops a new space strategy:
- Designating the space sector as a national strategic asset essential to Canada’s sovereignty, security and economic growth;
- Strengthening the capacity of Canada’s space sector to compete globally;
- Adopting new policies and regulations to allow the space sector to capitalize on technology advances;
- Maintaining balanced, sustainable programs and funding for space;
- Enhancing public education and outreach programs to inspire and prepare young Canadians for future participation in the space sector; and
- Revitalizing Canada’s space program to ensure it remains responsive and relevant to its international partners.