- Commercial Service on Track for Q4 2022
- Strong Ticket Sales at Updated Pricing of $450,000 per Seat
- Demonstrates Value of Differentiated Community Experience
- Commenced Fleet Enhancement Program to Increase Flight Rate and Extend Vehicle Service Life Ahead of Commercial Launch
LAS CRUCES, N.M., November 8, 2021 (Virgin Galactic PR) — Virgin Galactic Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SPCE) (“Virgin Galactic” or the “Company”) today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2021.
“We are entering our fleet enhancement period with a clear roadmap for increasing the durability, reliability and predictability of our vehicles in preparation for commercial service next year,” said Michael Colglazier, Chief Executive Officer of Virgin Galactic. “Demand for space travel is strong, and we’ve been selling seats ahead of the pace we had planned. This demonstrates the incredible market for our product and appreciation for the value of the unique experience we offer. It’s a pivotal time for the Company as we transition from a prototyping space innovator to the global, scaled, commercial operation we are becoming.”
- Expected start of private astronaut commercial service on track for Q4 2022.
- On July 11, 2021, successfully completed first fully crewed spaceflight, Unity 22. The flight fulfilled several test objectives including evaluating the cabin and customer experience. The livestream was watched by tens of millions around the world and brought in tens of thousands of requests for information on future Virgin Galactic spaceflights.
- In August 2021, opened sales to our Spacefarer community, the group of early hand-raisers who had reserved the right to be first in line for tickets. The Company announced a target of 1,000 reservations prior to the launch of private astronaut commercial service. Approximately 700 of these 1,000 have been sold to date. Current pricing of $450,000 per seat has been well received.
- On October 14, 2021, announced the beginning of planned vehicle enhancement period. This program will increase vehicle service life and flight-rate capability in preparation for commercial service.
- In October 2021, the Company entered into a lease agreement for a new design and collaboration center where the next generation vehicles will be designed and engineered.
Third Quarter 2021 Financial Highlights:
- Cash position remains strong at approximately $1.0 billion, which includes cash and cash equivalents of $721 million and marketable securities of $286 million as of September 30, 2021.
- In July 2021, the Company completed an “at-the-market” equity offering program (the “ATM Offering”). In connection with the ATM Offering, the Company filed a prospectus supplement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to offer and sell up to $500 million of shares of the Company’s common stock from time to time. The Company ultimately generated $500 million in gross proceeds through the sale of approximately 13.7 million shares of common stock. The Company intends to use the net proceeds generated from the ATM Offering for general corporate purposes, with a priority on expansion of its spaceship fleet.
- GAAP selling, general, and administrative expenses of $50 million, compared to $31 million in the third quarter of 2020. Non-GAAP selling, general and administrative expenses of $40 million in the third quarter of 2021, compared to $24 million in the third quarter of 2020.
- GAAP research and development expenses of $36 million, compared to $46 million in the third quarter of 2020. Non-GAAP research and development expenses of $31 million in the third quarter of 2021, compared to $41 million in the third quarter of 2020.
- Adjusted EBITDA totaled $(68) million, compared to $(66) million in the third quarter of 2020.
- Net loss of $48 million, compared to a $92 million net loss in the third quarter of 2020.
- Cash paid for capital expenditures totaled $1 million, compared to $4 million in the third quarter of 2020.
Conference Call Information
Virgin Galactic will host a conference call to discuss the results at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time (5:00 p.m. Eastern Time) today. To access the conference call, parties should dial (844) 200-6205 and enter the conference ID number 284644. The live audio webcast along with supplemental information will be accessible on the Company’s Investor Relations website at investors.virgingalactic.com. A recording of the webcast will also be available following the conference call.
About Virgin Galactic Holdings
Virgin Galactic Holdings, Inc. is a vertically integrated aerospace and space travel company, pioneering human spaceflight for private individuals and researchers with its advanced air and space vehicles. It is developing a spaceflight system designed to connect the world to the wonder and awe created by space travel and to offer customers a transformative experience. You can find more information at https://www.virgingalactic.com.