DARPA has awarded Boeing a contract worth up to $104.7 million for the Airborne Launch Assist Space Access (ALASA) program, which aims at placing a 100-lb. (45-kg) satellite into low Earth orbit for $1 million.
Launch System Design and Development Concepts
- Lockheed Martin Corp., Palmdale, Calif.: $6.2 million
- Boeing, Huntington Beach, Calif., $4.5 million
- Virgin Galactic, Las Cruces, N.M.
- Northrup Grumman, El Segundo, Calif., $2.3 million
- Space Information Laboratories LLC, Santa Maria, Calif., $1.9 million
- Ventions LLC, San Francisco, Calif., $969,396