Roscosmos held a meeting last week during officials reviewed a plan for meeting threats to Russia from both near Earth objects (NEOs) and space debris. One of the key recommendations was the establishment of a new agency to oversee the effort:
“Proposed the creation of a single (national) Monitoring Space Administration (SMC) to integrate information from the space control system (SKKP) Russian Defense Ministry and a set of specialized tools to detect and monitor hazardous space objects operated by industry organizations (Roscosmos, Russia Ministry of Industry) and the Russian Academy of Sciences.”
A Roscosmos press release that outlines the recommendations is reproduced below via Google Translate.
MOSCOW (Roscosmos PR) — On November 23, the Federal Space Agency under V.A.Popovkin a meeting of the first section of the Scientific and Technical Council.
The meeting was attended by deputy head and head of the Russian Space Agency, representatives of enterprises and organizations of the rocket and space industry, Russian Academy of Sciences, the Russian Academy of Cosmonautics. Tsiolkovsky, the Russian Defense Ministry, etc.
The meeting reviewed the system development project existing and development of advanced measuring, monitoring and control of near-Earth space objects for the information provide a single system of preventing and countering threats to space (ETCS). This project is developed by JSC “MAK” Vympel “in cooperation with other companies and organizations in accordance with the technical requirements of the Federal Space Agency.
The main results of the work reported to the chief designer of space control system (JSC “MAK” Vympel “) V.D.Shilin.
Participants of the meeting were representatives of the supplementary reports submitted Keldysh Institute. Keldysh RAS INASAN, CJSC “ASC” Project-engineering “, JSC” SPC “CPR” on the conceptual issues of monitoring tools and analytical centers for monitoring space debris in near-Earth space and the prevention of asteroids and comets .
It was noted that as a result of system design, the following main results were set out:
- The urgency of improving the existing and the development of advanced Russian detection and monitoring of dangerous space objects that create threats to the Russian Federation and from outer space, and in particular the detection and monitoring of man-made space debris in near-Earth space, and the detection and monitoring of dangerous asteroids and comets, for the information security prevention and countering threats to the Russian Federation and from space;
- To formulate the general requirements for advanced information provision preventing and countering threats to the Russian Federation and from space;
- Proposed the creation of a single (national) Monitoring Space Administration (SMC) to integrate information from the space control system (SKKP) Russian Defense Ministry and a set of specialized tools to detect and monitor hazardous space objects operated by industry organizations (Roscosmos, Russia Ministry of Industry) and the Russian Academy of Sciences ;
- The structure of the scheme and information links parts of the ISPO;
- Proposed directions for the development of existing and creation of new, specialized detection and monitoring of near-Earth space debris and hazardous asteroids and comets, as well as the development of information-analytical centers for the collection, processing and analysis of measurement data SMC;
- The creation of a network of specialized optical devices Roscosmos and Sciences to monitor space debris in near-Earth space (NES) placing them in the territory of the Russian Federation and abroad (including in the Western and Southern hemispheres);
- The creation of specialized radar monitoring of small-size debris,
- The creation of ground-based optical and radar detection and control of hazardous asteroids and comets with placing them in the territory of the Russian Federation and abroad;
- The creation of radio controls using orbital slots in the OCP for providing information for international legal protection against interference from space domestic space communication and navigation;
- Design and development of tools for monitoring and OKP dangerous celestial bodies of space-based systems;
- The development of the enterprises of Roscosmos and Trade Ministry of Russia, as well as in the Institute, interacting with each other and with the command SKKP Russian Ministry of Defense clearing houses manage the collection, storage, processing, analysis, and communication to consumers of information on the state of ECV, dangerous approaches to space objects and asteroids and comets, the creation and organization of information exchange on space and information about dangerous situations in space with foreign sources and targets;
- Development of the active influence on space debris;
- Study of the problems of creation and development of an integrated monitoring of outer space;
Proposals for R & D for the Federal Space Program for the period up to 2020 and beyond for the development of existing and the development of advanced specialized information support ETCS – the means of an integrated monitoring space.
As a result of the proposed works in the Russian Federation, in addition to the development of the Russian Defense Ministry SKKP and in addition to it, should be improvements to existing and established new media, organizations operated by Roscosmos, Russia Ministry of Industry and Sciences, communication and together with the Russian Defense Ministry SKKP functionally -Joint Integrated ISPO, in order to substantially increase the level of information support prevention and countering threats in space and from space.
Russian funds will ensure the timely and accurate prediction of the space environment and the threats to the planning of space activities of the Russian Federation and its participation in international activities for the prevention and countering of cosmic threats.
Section NTS decided that the developed system design can be the basis for the formation of future plans for increasing the potential of the information in the interests of monitoring Roscosmos OKP and the identification of sites of natural origin, dangerously near Earth.
In addition, a section of the NTS recommended that a year-end inter-departmental working group to develop proposals for a unified system of space-based prevention and countering threats.
FSUE TsNIImash together with “MAC” Vympel “was instructed to continue research on key scientific and technological problems and the development of proposals for the creation of advanced monitoring and prevention of cosmic threats and control centers of their application.
In early 2013, a Russian Space Agency to prepare proposals for improving automated warnings of dangerous situations in the OCP in terms of optimization of the Center for Analysis and processing of information about space threats, and the application of space parry threats.
During the meeting, the head of the Federal Space Agency decided to include a group of representatives of the Federal Space Agency of the Russian delegation to attend the International Conference on Planetary Defense, which is scheduled for April 2013 in Arizona (United States). According to the organizers at the conference will discuss issues related to potentially dangerous space objects, in particular, the existing resources of the international community for their support of the study and, predict and mitigate the possible effects of their impact, etc.