The Planetary Society is holding its Planetfest Event this Saturday and Sunday in Pasadena to celebrate the landing of the Mars Curiosity Rover. The details:
August 4, 2012, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
August 5, 2012, 2:00 pm – 11:30 pm or later
Pasadena Convention Center
300 E. Green Street
Pasadena, CA 91101
The program will feature leaders in space exploration, including: Charles Elachi, Director of NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory; Bill Nye (the Science Guy®); planetary vulcanologist Rosaly Lopes; Jim Bell, PanCam lead on the Spirit and Opportunity rovers and member of the Curiosity team; Planetary Society blogger Emily Lakdawalla; Mars rover driver Scott Maxwell; NASA Planetary Science Division Director Jim Green; former “Mars Czar” Scott Hubbard; Star Trek™ actor Robert Picardo; historian Shelley Bonus; author and space historian Andrew Chaikin; space artists; and private space entrepreneurs.
In addition to this full schedule, both days will have the following ongoing events and displays:
- Touch a piece of Mars: A fragment of a real martian meteorite discovered in Sultanate of Oman.
- See a full-size mockup of the XCOR Lynx sub-orbital vehicle
- A space-themed art show with over 50 works of art including 4 original pieces just for Planetfest.
- Hands-on science activities for kids of all ages (build your own Martian sundial, dirty comets workstation, First Robotics demonstrations)
- A full-size model of the Curiosity rover that will land on Mars
- Demonstrations and hands-on workstations for NASA Eyes on the Solar System and Google Mars
- XBoxes with the Mars Rover Landing Game
- The Rock Abrasion Tool (RAT) used in the current Mars rover mission and other future tech from Honeybee Robotics
- A room full of presentations and displays about the future of space from our sponsors.
Get more information.