- Showed a promotional video highlighting companyâ€™s progress
- Played a second video in which the vehicle lost control at 4,000 feet and fell head-over-tail to the ground
- Company is growing. Taken on two more full-time team members
- Operating profit again this year â€“ marginally profitable small aerospace company right now
- Couple of customers paying them decent money â€“ â€œWeâ€™re very distracted by these customers.â€ (laughter)
- Armadillo Aerospace was operating at the margins of what they could sustain
- Sold his software company last year â€“ provided Armadillo with some more financial stabilityâ€¦
- What weâ€™re flying now is pretty close to what we need for reusable suborbital vehicles. A number of upgrades needed that they are working on.
- Hoped to have a new business deal to announce for the conferenceâ€¦announcement due within the next monthâ€¦
- Will be conducting tests at Texas launch site, the Oklahoma Spaceport, and Spaceport America in New Mexico
Centennial Challenges, NASA and the Rest of It
- Centennial Challenges â€“ best money NASA has spent on new technology
- Upset over decision to allow Masten Space Systems a third launch windowÂ in Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander Challenge. Masten edged out Armadillo to win first prize…Carmack described it as bunch of people walked into a smoke-filled room and came out to announce they had taken a half million dollars away from youâ€¦
- Very excited about NASAâ€™s commitment to purchase commercial suborbital researchâ€¦$15 million for the next year, $75 million over five yearsâ€¦.
- May end up doing some payload work for NASA before the end of the yearâ€¦.
- Being able to make dozens of flights will give them the experience needed before they put people on itâ€¦.eventual goal is to send people into orbitâ€¦.
- Considers NASA to be a slow-motion train wreckâ€¦.great relationship with people within NASA, FAA, etc. but it is horribly inefficient and not cost effectiveâ€¦
- Every year, they have a regulatory crisis involving something they want to doâ€¦.