Third International Conference on Space Elevator Systems
CNT Tether Design and Lunar Industrial Challenges
Location: Luxembourg (Novotel Luxembourg-Kirchberg)
Dates: December 5-6, 2009
The conference will join some of the worldâ€™s leading researchers and engineers on space elevator systems and carbon nanotube fiber production. An add-on this year will be a session on lunar industrialisation challenges.
In line with the scope of EuroSpacewardâ€™s mission, ESAâ€™s Aurora and NASAâ€™s Constellation program, this new part of the conference will examine the research status of both NASAâ€™s Lunar Regolith Excavation and MoonROx Challenge as well as latest activities concerning the Google Lunar X Prize.
The conference is organized by the European Spaceward Association in cooperation with the National Research Fund of Luxembourg, the US Spaceward Foundation, the Japan Space Elevator Association, the LiÃ¨ge Space Centre, the University of LiÃ¨ge and the UniversitÃ© Catholique de Louvain.
Dec. 5: Space Elevator System
- Keynote: He3 mining on the moon
- Inflatable space tower versus tether
- The SpaceShaft Project
- Results of NASA power beaming challenge
- Japan space elevator competition
- Top climber performance analysis
- Artistic project on space elevator climber design
Dec. 6: CNT Tether â€“ Lunar Industrialization
- Status of CNT fiber growth and strength
- Flaw tolerant design of space elevator tether
- Results of NASAâ€˜s strong tether contest
- Regolith excavation challenge
- Lunar oxygen production challenge
- Latest on the Google Lunar X Prize