AIA PRESS RELEASE
Industry leaders from the Aerospace and Defence Industries Association of Europe (ASD) and the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) exchanged views June 16 on the current economic situation and the impact of government policy responses on the aerospace and defence industry.
Following the exchange, ASD and AIA issued the following statement:
If our respective governments continue to foster a climate in which the aerospace and defence sector can thrive, our member companies will continue to deliver products and services that contribute to global safety, security and economic prosperity. As governments across the globe forge closer partnerships with industry, our industry remains a powerful and reliable source of high tech manufacturing and engineering employment, advanced technological innovation, environmental stewardship, and export revenue. As leaders in the global marketplace, we are weathering the current economic difficulties and will continue to play a major role in the recovery.
ASD and AIA jointly affirm:
- The strength of the aerospace and defence industry is a critical asset in the global economic recovery;
- Keeping this sector strong requires sustained growth in investments in defence, civil aviation and space;
- National governments must avoid adoption of protectionist policies that would stifle our industryâ€™s ability to generate new growth and prosperity.
- To preserve a safe and efficient air transportation system, U.S. and EU lawmakers should ensure that current bilateral maintenance agreements continue to be recognized. In particular, legislation proposed in the U.S. House of Representatives should be amended since the new inspection requirements it imposes contradict the U.S.-EU Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement (BASA) and could impede its implementation.
Allan Cook, President of ASD and CEO of Cobham
Ã…ke Svensson, Past President of ASD and President & CEO of Saab
Pier Francesco Guarguaglini, Next President of ASD and Chairman & CEO, Finmeccanica
FranÃ§ois Gayet, Secretary-General, ASD
Robert J. Stevens, Chairman of the Board of Governors, AIA and Chairman, President & CEO, Lockheed Martin Corporation
Scott Donnelly, Vice Chairman of the Board, AIA and President & COO of Textron Inc.
Clay Jones, Immediate Past Chairman of the Board, AIA and Chairman, President & CEO, Rockwell Collins
Marion C. Blakey, President & CEO, AIA
ASD, AeroSpace and Defence Industries Association of Europe, represents the aeronautics, space, and defence industries in Europe. ASD has 30 member associations in 20 European countries, and represents over 2000 companies with a further 80 000 suppliers, many of which are SMEs. http://www.asd-europe.org
The European aeronautics, space and defence Industry at a glance:
- Employment: around 649,000 in aerospace & defence
- Industry Turnover: over â‚¬132 billion.
AIA, the Aerospace Industries Association, represents the nationâ€™s leading manufacturers and suppliers of civil, military, and business aircraft, materiel, and related components, equipment services, and information technology. Founded in 1919, AIA has over 300 members, representing over 2 million employees. http://www.aia-aerospace.org.
The U.S. aerospace industry at a glance:
- Sales: $205 billion
- Trade surplus: $57 billion.