There’s some interesting information coming out of a Virgin Galactic press conference in Australia today where it was announced that Brisbane fashion shop owner Glenys Ambe would be the first Australian to fly into space aboard SpaceShipTwo. iTNews reports that:
- 11 Australians have put down deposits for suborbital flights out of roughly 300 people worldwide;
- Virgin wants to sell at least 200 tickets before the first commercial flights in 2011 – and 50,000 tickets in the first ten years of operation;
- It could take 15 years to drop the price of flights to equal that of a new car;
- Six passengers and two pilots will experience four minutes of weightlessness during the two-hour flights;
- The flights are so easy that even a caveman pilots of local regional carriers like Virgin Blue and Pacific Blue can be trained to fly them.
Read the full story.