On the opening day of the National Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, the Coalition for Space Exploration added some well-known names to its Advisory Board. The list includes four former astronauts, two Congressmen and a prominent space journalist.
One of pols is former Congressman Nick Lampson, rumored to be a finalist for the NASA administrator job. (When asked during the media event, Lampson told Jeff Foust,Â â€œItâ€™s a rumor. All I can say is that I would be honored if I was asked. I havenâ€™t been asked.â€
The full list of new advisers:
- Nick Lampson â€” former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from the 22nd Congressional District of Texas, including Johnson Space Center; served in key role on the Space Science Transportation Committee and was instrumental in legislation that generated positive results for NASA; currently consulting from his home base in Beaumont, Texas.
- Miles O’Brien â€” 26-year broadcast news veteran; worked for nearly 17 years as a correspondent, anchor and producer for CNN based in Atlanta and New York, at various times serving as CNN’s science, space, aviation technology and environment correspondent; recently completed his first live streaming Webcast of the Space Shuttle Discovery launch in partnership with www.spaceflightnow.com; currently working on a documentary with PBS titled, “Blueprint America: A Tale of Three Cities”.
- Dr. Roger Crouch â€” scientist and payload specialist on two space shuttle missions in 1997; served as a program scientist on five different Spacelab flights; helped organize and has served as co-chair for Microgravity Science Working Groups between NASA and space agencies from the European Union, France, Germany, Japan and Russia; currently consults and travels from his base in Washington, DC, to share his story with students across the country.
- Fred Gregory â€” former NASA astronaut, research test pilot and deputy administrator; currently managing director, aerospace and defense strategies at Lohfeld Consulting Group Inc. in Alexandria, Va., where he leads the aerospace and defense strategy practice
- Dr. Tom Jones â€” former NASA astronaut who flew on four space shuttle missions (STS-59, STS-68, STS-80, STS-98); scientist; pilot; member of the NASA Advisory Council; currently an author, speaker and consultant who splits his time between Houston, Texas, and the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC.
- Dr. Dave Weldon â€” former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from the 15th Congressional District of Florida, including Kennedy Space Center; served in key role on the Space Science Transportation Committee and was instrumental in legislation that generated positive results for NASA; currently practicing medicine in Palm Bay, Florida, and consulting.