Rob Coppinger takes a look at developments in human spaceflight over at his Hyperbola blog, including:
- Virgin Galactic’s plan to roll out its White Knight carrier aircraft in about two months’ time;
- EADS-Astrium’s proposal for an ATV-derived capsule, with photos of a mockup unveiled at the Berlin Air Show (the BBC also has a story);
- a six-person capsule being jointly studied by Europe and Russia for possible launch on the Zenit;
- Mitsubuishi Heavy Industries‘ reusable space plane roadmap;
- a proposal for ESA to assist European companies in developing space tourism.
In related news, Virgin Galactic and the National Space Society have announced a new Space Ambassadors program. The program will train people to go forth and spread the word about the great benefits of space exploration, NSS and Virgin Galactic in their communities. One lucky ambassador will get to fly into space aboard Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo. Virgin and NSS have not decided how the winner will be chosen.